What a Church Bookkeeping Service Can Do
When looking for a bookkeeper, many churches go the traditional route. They might look for someone within the local community who can take on bookkeeping tasks on a volunteer basis. The problem is that this means that the church’s accounting system is only as updated as its software is, as long as the volunteer is working.
What happens when the volunteer is away? A church can quickly lose track of its cash flow, its balance sheet, and even its financial statements. Getting things done often requires playing catch-up.
A virtual assistant with bookkeeping experience, however, can turn things around. By implementing a virtual accounting system that relies on cloud-based software, a church can keep its books updated, accurate, and ready for a virtual bookkeeping assistant. A church’s accounting needs can be met without the major investment of a full-time employee.
Consider everything that a church bookkeeping service can do:
- Staying updated with the latest accounting software. These days, churches can save money when they use efficient bookkeeping software. This software can even incorporate financial statements automatically, reducing the amount of time and labor spent in keeping the books updated. An experienced church bookkeeping virtual assistant can help a church upgrade its systems to have this in place.
- Bank reconciliations. Using a trusted bookkeeper is important. Handling bank reconciliations requires that kind of trust. But it’s an important task. It double-checks that the money is where the church believes the money will be. This helps prevent bookkeeping “surprises” that creep up along the course of the calendar year.
- Basic accounting services. Keeping up-to-date on your financial statements is important. But so are all of the basic accounting services that keep you “in the know” when it comes to your church bookkeeping services. Whether that’s incorporating a basic software service like QuickBooks or reconciling your bank accounts with your internal data, basic accounting services help fuel the essential church management tasks that are essential for keeping things going.
- Credit card monitoring. Church accounting services don’t only have to apply to those aspects of finance that are unique to church accounting software. Other services, such as monitoring an expense card, can be vital in helping identify and preventing fraud.
- Financial reporting. Let’s say that your church is about to have a budgeting meeting. Do you have the financial reporting in place to know exactly where your church currently stands with its money? If not, a church bookkeeping service can help you stay “in the know” with proper financial reporting available at all times.
- More internal controls. When you’re in charge of your own church bookkeeping services and outsource to a VA, it means you have more internal controls. You’re not beholden to another service out there, and whether or not they’re closed.
- Monthly bookkeeping and payroll services. Churches need to keep tabs on their books and handle payroll, too. That’s why a consistent bookkeeper is so important. Handling everything from payroll services to monthly financial statements means your church can stay up-to-date on everything that’s going on.
Preparing for tax filings. Tax filings can be a stressful time of year for anyone. Outsourcing some of the work in preparing for tax filings helps reduce this stress.