Outsourcing to a Virtual Office Assistant: Basic Tasks
First things first: what can you actually have a virtual office assistant accomplish? The short answer is that they can take on any basic administrative jobs around the office that don’t require their physical presence. No, they can’t lift boxes for you—but they can lift a major part of your company’s load nonetheless.
Here are some of the most important tasks that virtual assistants can handle:
- Travel arrangements and scheduling. Need to schedule a flight to attend a conference? Hotel? Car arrangements? You shouldn’t necessarily have to do it yourself if you have an assistant who can make those arrangements for you. A virtual office assistant can handle the arrangements for you and an entire team at your office.
- Data entry. Data entry can be one of the biggest obstacles for growing businesses. If your top people are spending too much time on tasks they shouldn’t have to handle themselves, then they aren’t pursuing the high-reward actions that make your business grow.
- Bookkeeping. Managing expenses and tracking income to keep the books is the duty of any office assistant, who should have the skills and experience to effectively handle bookkeeping with minimal distraction.
- Follow-up. Haven’t heard back from that one client? Need to make sure that you remember who to contact after a long weekend? Put a virtual office assistant in charge of following up and you’ll find it much easier to stay on top of your most important communications.
- Phone calls. Placing and taking phone calls often means double duty for a young, growing business. But a virtual office assistant can easily handle your phone call needs from the comfort of their home.
- Managing office supplies. Need to find the best prices on the latest office supplies? Need to shop across multiple outlets to find the most affordable printer ink? That’s the exact kind of time-consuming task that saves money and works perfectly for a virtual office assistant.
- Managing spreadsheets. If you need a spreadsheet formatted, created, or need to track any essential office tasks, a virtual office assistant is ideally suited to the task. That’s why it’s so critical to make sure that you hire someone with the specific skills and experience to handle spreadsheets, including experience in working with top programs like Excel.
- Email inbox management. Your inbox shouldn’t be a labyrinth. It should be a quick and easy way to reach out and to have customers reach out to you. But managing the inbox itself can be a tough job, full of data entry, contacts management, and more. That’s why it’s important to outsource your inbox to a virtual office assistant.